Save your respondent's time by pre-populating questions with data you already have. If you already know someone's name or email address, you can just feed the data into your form and make it even more personal.
You can pre-fill all input fields with text or numerical values (except for payment and file upload blocks). If a respondent submits your form without changing the pre-populated answers, these will be included in their form submission.
Note: if you want to add example text to your input field that disappears when respondents type, use the placeholder text instead.
How it works
- Click ⠿ on the left of your input block
- Switch on the toggle next to default answer
- Just type a custom default answer or choose the value you want to pre-fill from the dropdown menu. You can insert data from:
Pre-populate questions with hidden fields
Example 1: Let's say you want to pre-populate the email field of your respondent based on existing data from another form or database.
- Create a form and insert an email address field
- Insert a hidden field and name it 'email'
- Click ⠿ on the left of your email address input field and switch on the default answer toggle
- Choose hidden field 'email' from the dropdown menu
- Add the parameter ?email=xxxx at the end of your form URL
- Replace 'xxxx' with the email address you want to pre-populate or with a variable (or MERGE tag) from your CRM or marketing automation tool.
Note: you can also redirect one form to another and pass on form data through the URL.
- Share your form with the adjusted URL and the respondent will see a pre-filled value based on your URL parameter
Example 2: Let's say you want to collect feedback from your newsletter subscribers with a simple poll and redirect them to a pre-filled form.
Type a question in your newsletter with a set of responses your subscribers can choose from.
Create a Tally form with the same answer options (Awesome, Good and Bad) and insert a hidden field with the name 'rating'. Add multiple hidden fields like 'email' or 'name' if you wish to identify your subscribers in your Tally form responses.
Click ⠿ on the left of your answer block and choose default answer → rating. Publish the form and copy the form link.
Add the form link with corresponding URL parameters to each response in your email.
- Awesome: tally.so/r/jhk?rating=Awesome
- Good: tally.so/r/jkh?rating=Good
- Bad: tally.so/r/jkh?rating=Bad
Note: URL parameters are case sensitive. Write them in exactly the same way as displayed in your form
Optional: You can also choose to add the name or email address of your subscriber to identify them in your form results (add &email=xxx at the end of your URL). Replace the xxx with the email variable (or MERGE tag) from your email marketing tool.
Send your email and when your subscribers click one of the poll results they will be redirected to your Tally form with the pre-filled answer. They just need to click 'confirm' to submit.