Here's everything you need to start building forms with Tally.
Tally is a new type of form-building tool that works like a text document. Just start typing as you would in a text document, and build your form by inserting form blocks. You don't even need an account to get started, let's go!
Build a form from scratch
Press enter to start with an empty form. Just start typing and give your form a title. Use ↓ to navigate to the next line.
1. Adding form blocks
Tap + to open a list of content types or use the shortcut /. Use ↓↑ to navigate through the list or use the search bar, and press
enter to add any form block.
You can choose from a list of pre-made combinations of questions and input blocks or create your own using these form blocks:
- Questions: pre-made combinations of questions and input blocks. Instead of a question, you can also add a label or a heading 3 on top of your input block.
- Input blocks: all answer fields available (for example short text, multiple-choice, checkboxes, payments, linear scale, etc.).
- Layout blocks: you can freely insert text, headings, answer labels, images, or a new (thank you) page
- Embed blocks: you can embed audio, video, calendars, maps, and more within your form.
- Advanced blocks: you can create smart forms using conditional logic, calculated fields, or hidden fields
Select form blocks to:
- Move: select and drag the blocks in your form
- Delete: select blocks and use backspace or click the trash icon on the left
- Duplicate: select blocks copy (command + X) and paste (command + V) them in your form or between forms in different tabs. You can also click ⠿ on the left and choose duplicate
2. Block options
When you hover over input blocks you will get to see these three icons in the left margin.
- 🗑 : Use this to delete a block
- + : Use it to open a list of form blocks to insert in your form. Also appears via the shortcut /
- ⠿ : Use this to drag your form blocks to another place in your form and to adjust the input block options:
- Hide block: hide a block by default and only show it based on your conditional logic
- Make an input field required for your respondents
- Duplicate the block
- Add conditional logic
- Add a minimum or maximum number (of characters) to a number field
- Add images to multiple choice questions
- Set a minimum and maximum number of choices for a checkbox question
3. Adding new pages
If you wish to create a form that consists out of multiple pages, you can add a new page (or thank you page) via the shortcut in the header menu or the '+' button. You can also create a custom thank you page by using the toggle on top of your last page. A standard thank you page will be provided by Tally if you wish not to create your own.
4. Customization options
Make your form seamlessly fit your brand by customizing the design to your needs.
- Logo: upload your logo in a square shape
→ 200x200 pixels
- Cover image: upload your own cover image, add it by URL or choose a stock picture from Unsplash. Alternatively, simply choose a background color from our presets.
→ Size: at least 1500 pixels wide
- Images: insert images within the survey. They are shown full width from 700 pixels wide.
→ Size: at least 1400 pixels wide
- Text formatting: select text to format and style it.
- Headings: use different sizes of headings to give your form more structure and context. There are three sizes of headings available. Click + or type / and search for 'heading'.
- Submit buttons: edit the copy of your submit buttons by clicking the settings wheel next to it.
5. Advanced features
Make your form smart and customize your respondent's form experience by using our advanced features:
- Conditional logic: create logic jumps by using if/then conditions
- Calculator: calculate scores, prices or other values
- Hidden fields: include data in your form URL
- Answer piping: mention a respondent's answer (like name), hidden fields or calculated fields
- Pre-populate form fields: pre-fill input fields with a default value or known data
6. Preview and publish
Use the preview button in the header menu to preview your form and publish your form and share it with your audience. After publishing your form you will receive the sharing link or you can choose to embed your form on any web page.
7. Form settings
In the Settings tab of your published form you can:
- Change your form language
- Close your forms
- Redirect on completion and pass data from one form to another
- Get response email notifications
- Respondent email notifications
- Remove Tally branding
- View partial submissions
Get more out of your data by connecting Tally to your favorite tools. In the Integrations tab of your published form, you'll find an overview of our integrations. You can connect Tally to:
9. Looking for that little bit extra?
Tally is completely free to use, but if you need that little bit extra, Tally Pro might just be what you're looking for. Our Pro plan is tailored to the more advanced needs of teams and creators and includes:
- Team collaboration
- Organize forms in workspaces
- Removing of Tally branding
- 0% commission on payment forms
- Unlimited file uploads
- Fully customizable email notifications
- Custom domains and styles
- Partial submissions
- Track your forms with Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel
Tally Pro is available for $29/month or $290/year.
Didn't find what you're looking for?
We're always looking for new ways to improve Tally, if you have a suggestion, please request a feature below.